17 states, DC sue Trump administration over visa rules for college students

The multistate effort, filed in the US District Court in Massachusetts on Monday contrary to the Department of Homeland Security and Immigration and Customs Enforcement, also seeks to prevent the policy from starting effect whilst the case has been decided.

Monday’s lawsuit, a largely Democrat-led effort, is headed up by Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey.

“The Trump Administration didn’t even attempt to explain the basis for this senseless rule, which forces schools to choose between keeping their international students enrolled and protecting the health and safety of their campuses,” Healey said in a statement.

The lawyers general also said that the guidance, “fails to consider the harm to international students and their families whose lives will be upended” and that it “will also cause irreparable harm to the public health and the economy” of these states.

The effort can also be the latest pushback on the guidance after California Attorney General Xavier Becerra, a Democrat, announced last week their state would challenge the policy. Harvard and Massachusetts Institute of Technology also filled lawsuits contrary to the guidance a week ago and practically 100 people of Congress sent the letter in order to DHS recommending the section to rescind the plan.

Other says that joined them Monday’s suit include: Connecticut, Maryland, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Nevada, Minnesota, New Jersey, Colorado, Delaware, Oregon, New Mexico, Rhode Island, Wisconsin, Vermont, plus Michigan.

Visa requirements for students will always be strict plus coming to the united states to take online-only courses have been prohibited. SNOW maintained that will prohibition inside the guidance, whilst providing a few flexibility for hybrid designs, meaning a mixture of online and real time classes.

The agency advised that students currently signed up for the US take into account other steps, like shifting to colleges with real time instruction.

Acting Homeland Security chief Ken Cuccinelli advised CNN’s Brianna Keilar a week ago, “If a school isn’t going to open or if they’re going to be 100% online, then we wouldn’t expect people to be here for that.”

CNN’s Priscilla Alvarez written for this record.