EU risks angering Donald Trump with plan to BAN American travellers when it reopens on July 1

EU risks angering Donald Trump with plan to BAN American travellers when it reopens on July 1 but welcome those from countries with lower infections rates – including China

The United States, Russia, and many other countries are considered too risky
The list of safe countries was put together by senior diplomats in Brussels
The decision has been made even though the US can be an important way to obtain tourism for the European Union 

The EU is planning to ban American travellers when it reopens on July 1, but those from countries with lower disease rates – like China – are set to be welcomed.
The decision – which still needs to be formalised in member states’ capitals – risks angering Donald Trump who has been widely criticised for his handling of the crisis.
The United States, Russia, and many other countries are considered too risky simply because they have not controlled the coronavirus outbreak, EU officials said Friday.
The list of safe countries was put together by senior diplomats in Brussels following discussions on how to reopen the bloc to business and tourism following lockdown.   
The EU is planning to ban American travellers when it reopens on July 1 but those from countries with lower disease rates – like China – are set to be welcomed. The decision is likely to anger Trump (pictured) 

One of the ‘safe countries’ will soon be China – but as long as it allows European Union travellers to visit aswell, the officials said.
EU officials disclosed earlier this week that the US – which has reported more coronavirus deaths and infections than any other country – was highly unlikely to make the final list.
The decision has been made even though the US is an important way to obtain tourism for the European Union. 
On the safe list are countries like Canada and Australia. The countries were judged on criteria including disease rates and the credibility of public health authorities reporting data.     
EU officials disclosed earlier this week that the US – which has reported more coronavirus deaths and infections than any other country – was highly unlikely to make the final list

The list will be updated every fourteen days, which mean countries excluded at the start could be added to the safe list.   
The officials who unmasked the contents of the ultimate list spoke to the New York Times on condition of anonymity before its official release a few weeks.
EU officials tried to base the information on science in order to depoliticise the procedure.  
However that has been made difficult and officials said the United States and other nations had been lobbying intensely to get on the safe list.
The US barred most EU travellers in March and it has not eased restrictions since, even when European infections and deaths have fallen.
Mike Pompeo on Thursday said that lots of European countries were eager to admit American visitors. 
‘We’ll work closely with our European friends, broadly, because I know there is different views,’ that he said.
‘We’ve heard from the dozen or even more countries which have very different views about their willingness to open up their borders to anyone, not just folks from the United States of America.’

Advertisement