FPF president Fernando Gomes: “It was an easy decision to make considering we are renewing the contract of a European champion. He is a winner”
Last Updated: 16/06/20 6:38pm
Portugal head coach Fernando Santos will continue to be in the role until Euro 2024 after the Portuguese Football Federation (FPF) extended his contract.
Santos – who guided Portugal to victory in the 2016 European Championships and last year’s inaugural Nations League – had originally signed a deal until after Euro 2020, that has been postponed until next year due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The 65-year-old took over as Portugal national boss after the 2014 World Cup, having previously had spells in control of Porto, Sporting Lisbon and Benfica in his native country, as well as the Greece national team.
“It’s a privilege for me and for my coaching staff to continue with this project,” Santos said.
“We know we won’t be able to win everything, but we will always try.”
Santos is now set to remain in charge of the national team at next year’s rearranged European Championship, the 2022 World Cup, and Euro 2024.
FPF president Fernando Gomes said: “It was an easy decision to make considering we are renewing the contract of a European champion. He is a winner.”
Domestic Super 6 IS BACK!
Do not miss your opportunity to land the £250,000 jackpot on Saturday. Play for free, entries by 12:30pm.